NeverAlone

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NeverAlone
NeverAlone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Association of ideas
The reading corner EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 5:24 am by Those Interrupted

» IM BACCCCCCCCCCK!!!!!!
The reading corner EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 9:44 am by Cariad Admin

» Im going away
The reading corner EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 9:59 am by Cariad Admin

» How are you feeling using emotions!
The reading corner EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 11:48 pm by Those Interrupted

» HOW ARE YOU FEELING TODAY..POST A IMAGE
The reading corner EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 11:04 am by Cariad Admin

» centre for mental health/crisis contacts
The reading corner EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 10:04 am by Cariad Admin

» rethink mental illness
The reading corner EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 am by Cariad Admin

» Mind, the mental health charity.
The reading corner EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 9:48 am by Cariad Admin

» Quick note everyone needs to read please
The reading corner EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 5:53 pm by Gabeangel

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The reading corner

2 posters

Go down

The reading corner Empty The reading corner

Post by Gabeangel Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:27 pm

I don't know about you but I'm a real book nut. When we moved house last year we realised just how many books Cariad and I have between us and it was crazy!!!! Lol

This is a thread for everyone who is a reader like us. Be it fiction or factual, come and tell us about your favourite books or the book you are reading at the moment or have just finished. Share reccomendations or just rave about your latest 'best book in the world'!

The walls in our little reading corner heee are lines with book shelves and there is a wonderful selection of beanbags, floor cushions and comfy chairs to relax in with a good read...make yourself comfortable and enjoy a good geek out together over everything that is good to read.

Please remember to trigger warn if it's a potentially triggering or heavy topic though.

Last edited by Gabeangel on Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gabeangel
Gabeangel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The reading corner Empty Re: The reading corner

Post by Those Interrupted Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:40 pm

"House of Leaves" and "The Rawshark Texts" are both great books. The first is extremely dark, dense, and at times frightening, but it really makes you think. The second is a much easier read but is also a bit of a mindscrew. Both make use of text art to really make the books come alive.

Ellen Hopkins has some amazing books ("Identical," "Crank," etc) but they tend to deal with very heavy and often triggering topics.

"We Have Always Lived in the Castle" is another great one, though again, it can get heavy... this is probably a theme for books that I like. Razz

Class wise, the Harry Potter books are amazing, as is Alice in Wonderland.
-Katherine
Those Interrupted
Those Interrupted

http://did-research.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabeangel Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Those first 2 sound like Cariad's kind of thing...hopefully she will come and check out this thread soon. I'm a wuss (the curse of an over active writers mind that takes anything scary and elaborates on it until im scared whitless!

...i like the sound of using text art to add to the feel of the story though so i may have to brave it to see how that works. I'm always looking to learn new techniques for my own writing and reading different things is a great way to do that.

'Identical' rings a bell, I'm not sure if i may have read that.

I do like a lot of heavier subjects too and you are welcome to still talk about those books here so long as you trigger warn it. I'm sure I'm not the only other person who would love to hear about those books too.

Harry Potter, i was just talking with Cariad the otger day about how much better it makes the whole world of that the way that JK Rowling didnt just write them and move on but still interacts with the fans and answers questions and lets out new bits of info every now and then. I read the other day that apparently Ginny became a professional Quiddich player and one of her and Harry's sons stole the Marauders map from Harry's desk and used it when he went to Hogwarts Very Happy

Have you read any of the newer books that put a twist on Alice in Wonderland? There's one I want to read that is based on the premise that Alice was committed to a mental hospital for the 'delusions' of Wonderland but then years later her daughter begins to experience the same things and fears she is 'going crazy' like her mother but then realises its all real.
Gabeangel
Gabeangel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Those Interrupted Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:12 pm

If you read either, I'd recommend "The Raw Shark Texts." "House of Leaves" is massive and can be pretty difficult to read at times, both because it's so dense and difficult to follow and because of using the text as art. Here's an example page from both:
House of Leaves:
The reading corner Hol3
Raw Shark Texts:
The reading corner RawShark_2
The latter uses text art to enhance the story. The first often tries to tell the story in part through text art, so it can be a bit inaccessible, especially as you get farther in and the whole thing starts falling apart! It's really brilliantly done, though.

I'm not sure how to talk too much about "Identical" without accidently posting spoilers, so I'll just say it's written in prose (like all of Ellen Hopkin's books) and is about twin sisters.

"We Have Always Lived in a Castle" is just plain hard to describe. It's a gothic novel and I loved it, there. Razz

Yeah, JK Rowling is pretty amazing! I need to go back on Pottermore sometime and see what new things have been released, haha.

Some of the new versions, yeah. Currently, my favorite take actually isn't a book at all but the RPG guide by Jags. It's so intensely creepy but so wonderful, ahhhhh.
-Katherine
Those Interrupted
Those Interrupted

http://did-research.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum